Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December 8-Christmas Spending

Today I have been paying bills. Then I was thinking...this month people probably spend more than any other time of year. We spend with what we don't have. At the end of the month, if not before, a sizable debt is accrued on credit cards. The bills come, and Holiday spirit is gone.

I don't mean to crush the holiday spirit, But we are commanded to do all for His glory. I am reminded of an incident many years ago in Haiti. But one I haven't forgotten. Patrick wasn't home, and someone knocked at the gate. When I opened the gate, a lady tried her best to convince me that we had met and I knew her. I began to feel quite foolish that I couldn't remember her. Then she proceeds to tell me this awful experience that is going on in her family. She was desperate. I didn't have money to help her, but felt so badly for her. I called a good friend, told him the story, and he said if I have money I can take from another fund he would replace it for me. So I did.

When Patrick returned I told him what happened. He was thinking about it, then said, "Barb, God will never ask you to help someone if He hasn't provided the means with which to accomplish it. I remembered the look in her eyes, and knew I had been deceived. Her story was not truth.

In saying this, I'd challenge you—if you don't have the money then God hasn't asked you to buy it.

Jesus paid my debt. He is satisfied with that payment. It was costly for the Father and Son. Yet they deemed it worthy! I am forever grateful for His Grace and Mercy!!

God bless you

No comments: