Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sharing the Distress

Philippians 4:13-14 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well that you have shared in my distress."

I know verse 13 very well, and am thinking we often hear it quoted. But how often do we quote verse 14 with it? I never have. How do these verses connect? Do they relate to each other? It is wonderful that God strengthens me to do all things, but is it only for me?

I believe He strengthens me to also share in the distress of others. How easy it is to forget the distress of others. When I can't get out and about, I wonder if life will ever be "normal" again. It is the same for thousands of others who have suffered tornadoes, floods, quakes, etc. The list goes on. So maybe, just maybe, what I call normal isn't what God calls normal. He looks way beyond our suffering and sees the final piece of pottery He has made from our life. When we see it through eternal eyes, we will not remember the suffering.

Let's remember the 2nd part of I can do all things through Him. I need to share in the distress.

God bless you

No comments: