Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Guard Your Heart

In the message on Sunday, the pastor spoke of this verse, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of for life." Proverbs 4:23

When I had first arrived in Haiti, and saw the beautiful ironwork on the windows I thought it was for decoration only. But it didn't take long for me to realize that it was for more than beauty. It was an effort to keep thieves from breaking in. Not only was there ironworks across the windows, but also chain locks for doors and gates. Most houses in the city use this method against robbery. It doesn't always work, as thieves have often cut the ironwork and entered the houses anyway. Just for the record, we were broken into about 14 times in the course of 8 years. Not sure of the exact years, but do know it is no fun to wake up the next morning and find things broken into.  On the other hand, it is a blessing to wake up and realize God kept us under the protection of His wings.

How much effort do I take to guard my heart? What needs to be guarded? Oh I have a list of things—pride, covetousness, gossip, idolatry, discouragement, and the list goes on. If for one minute, I let my guard down, satan is at hand to immediately to load me down with sins unguarded.

But the guarded heart is the happy heart. It is the one that has peace. It takes work to guard our heart. We need time in the Word, prayer, and sharing God's Word with others.

My encouragement to you: Don't let the enemy steal your peace and joy!! Stay on Guard!
God bless you

No comments: