Friday, November 18, 2011

Being Childish

Having two 3 year olds and a 5 year old in the house all the time is quite interesting. There are 3 personalities, 3 different ways of playing with the same toy and not to mention they all 3 want the same toy at the same time. Oh, they can be perfectly content for a while with a toy but seeing another having fun with a different toy, the decision is made that they should have that toy at that time. Does this ring a bell with anyone else but me?

I Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Great verse, great truth.  But do we really put away our childish ways? Before this verse it is teaching us love and what love is. A child being selfish or demanding for a toy that another child has, usually wants to take it immediately. For you see, they really haven't learned the logistics of sharing and loving. That is a growing experience.

But now we are adults. Sad to say, we still act as children. We want what another has. We can be satisfied with our car until we see the neighbor's brand new one in the driveway. A pastor can  be ok with a small church until his best friend has a mega church. (Does this really happen? I'm afraid so!) We can be happy with a normal size TV until we see a big screen one. We want it now. Really childish. We may not grab it out of another's hand, but often we are guilty of overspending because we don't want someone else having what we can't have.

Our children learn from the adults around them. Let's be the example of giving instead of taking. Let's be an example of giving even if we do not receive in return. We do receive...God is never short in His blessing. His gifts are the best!

Let's leave our childish ways today, and grow up...I'm just saying....
God bless you

No comments: