Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ice Cream, My Favorite

Psalm 119:103 "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

I love ice cream. My favorite dessert. But I don't especially like sauces and syrups on it. Rather just plain ice cream.

That's the way of God's Word, sweeter than honey. That's pretty sweet. Honey is pure with no additives. God's Word does not accept additives. Man has tried to attach myriads of traditional beliefs to it to make it work for them. We can gossip, tell little white lies, over-eat all we want, cheat on income taxes, but we can't steal, smoke or use alcohol. We choose the sins we think God will overlook.  Soon after we add enough things to God's Word, it is not pure to us any more, and it just doesn't work.

When we accept God's Word in its purity, and give up our will for His, then it slides right down into our heart, just like ice cream slides right down into the tummy. Mmmm! The exciting thing about God's Word is that I can't over indulge! It is a healthy thing to over indulge, but for ice cream...not even good for me to have it every day. 

Do I enjoy God's Word as much as ice cream? Do I find it sweet? Does its taste stay yummy in my life?
Do you want to know what bothers me, and has for a long time. If you want a crowd at a church event, then have food. People will come. For prayer meeting, not so much. Actually very few will show for it. Sad.

Lord, change our "taste buds."

God bless you

No comments: