Sunday, May 27, 2012

Exceeding Glad?

Matthew 5:11-12 "Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely. Rejoice and be exceeding glad for great is your reward in heaven for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

It is so painful when people insult us, make fun of us, and lie about us. When Pastor Mark spoke this morning, the words insult and exceeding glad pierced my heart. How do I react to others when this happens? I tend to back off and "hide" in my own emotions. But others will bite back. Fight it. Call out names. But the truth of the matter is, that Jesus commands us to rejoice and be exceeding glad. Really?

I've had physical pain, but also emotional pain. I think the insults and lies against me are more painful by far than physical pain. I have a responsibility in response to this. I can pretend happy, but that doesn't come close to what the command is...exceeding glad!

The message was ended with, "when our government makes being a Christian illegal, will there be enough evidence to convict me?"

To say the least I came away from the service being convicted and challenged. If I want to walk in the way Jesus walked, then I know what needs to be done. I do want to be happy, and this is the way to happiness...accept insults joyfully. Not easy!!

Have a good night
God bless you

No comments: