Thursday, May 10, 2012

To Honor my Mother

My Mother

Mother's Day is only a few days away. But since I will be "on the road" for the weekend, I decided to blog on my mother tonight. What is the first word that comes to mind when you hear the word mother?

A picture of my mother is #1. She is a great example of a self-sacrificing mother. She always put us children and our dad first, before any of her desires. She was strict and required obedience, but she was loving. We had so many fun, family projects. We lived on a farm, and we made work fun. She was never too tired to help us. I never heard her complain how much work she needs to do, or how little time she has for herself.

I don't ever remember her and dad having " to get away" from us kids. I'm sure they needed it since there were 6 of us. She was a Proverbs 31 mother. Today she is 90 years old, and she still loves to work and do for herself as much as possible. For the record, her and dad were married for 61 years.

When my dad passed away, one of the grandsons asked mom, "Grandpa prayed for each of us grandkids every day. Now who will do it?" Of course she answered, "I will." And she does. She also reads her Bible every day. She is reading the Bible through this year. John 14 is her favorite chapter of the Bible.

Many people do not have this blessing. Many children don't have a mother that truly loves them, or cares for them. I think of some mothers in Haiti. My heart breaks for some of the children. Not too long ago, I was translating a letter that a student wrote to his sponsor. He was so happy because the sponsor told him she loved him. He wrote, "that made me so happy because I never have heard my mother say she loves me."

Mother's Day may be hurtful for you. You don't even want to remember a day to honor your mother. For you I pray, that God brings someone in your life that can become as a mother to you. I pray you can forgive your mother who has hurt you. God is tender and loving. He can heal your sadness.

God bless you each one.


No comments: