Monday, March 7, 2011

Hiding in a Cave

I Kings 19:9- is an interesting account of Elijah, right after he prayed for fire to come from heaven to destroy the alter of baal. What a victory that was!! But right after that fear took over, and he went and hid in a cave.

But God found him there, asked what he was doing there. Elijah wrapped his robe around him and covered his face. Then left the cave. Again God asked what he was doing. The scripture does not give an indication of a response from Elijah. He went on his way and found Elisha.

Can anyone else relate to this? Really, how often there is a great victory in our life, then suddenly our world falls apart and all we see is the negative. We may not have a physical cave to hide in, but we can bury ourselves in our woes. That is where I was today. Great house in southern Florida, great location. Feeling it was God's choosing. Today the bottom fell out. More papers to sign, can't get a response from the landlord, my leg is hurting and more swollen. And some prayers I thought were answered almost became "unanswered". Is that even possible?

Then the still small voice speaks peace. Lift my eyes to the hills, not to the situation. My help does come from above my circumstances. God is greater than my emotions.

So it is time to crawl out of the cave of fear and self-pity, stand strong and go forth in the strength of His peace.

Be blessed by God's overwhelming love.

No comments: