Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Compliment

Numbers 12:3 "Now the man Moses was very humble, more than all men who were on the face of the earth."

A short verse, but dynamite! This is the ultimate compliment. Moses didn't have the normal "rungs" on his success ladder— rich, a mega church, a legend in sports, good looking.... Was Moses perfect? No! He complained to God about the work load, his complaining "church" people. In Numbers 11:11-15, he asks God what he is doing to afflict him with these people. And in verse 15 he says to God, "If you treat me like this, please just kill me and now..."

Does this ring a bell? "Look, God, I've had all I can take. If this is the thanks I get, just let me die." In another conversation Moses had with God, complaining, God answered him, "Is my arm shortened?" In other words, am I not sufficient?

I can learn so much from the life of Moses. He really knew God intimately! He wasn't afraid to bring any of his complaints and problems to God. But he listened when God spoke. How often I read the Bible and am not "listening" to God's message to me!

My prayer today: Lord, help me to listen. Let me carry the work you have for me today, without complaint. Lord, help me not to put more on "my plate" than what you give to me."

I'm so thankful the life of Moses is in the Bible. What a man of God!!

God bless you


No comments: