Sunday, July 22, 2012

Surely Goodness and Mercy

Psalm 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."

This morning as I was listening to a message online on this verse, the pastor gave a new insight to this verse. I had always pictured this verse in David's early life as a shepherd, or on the run from King Saul. But this pastor suggested that this could have been a Psalm at the end of David's life.

At the end of his life, he knew who God was! He knew what being a shepherd was all about, and how God was a Good Shepherd, providing all of his needs. David knew that God had provided for all his needs. In another Psalm David declares that his greatest desire was to be in the House of the Lord, not his palace, his throne, or with his wealth, but in the presence of God.

Psalm 23 gives a picture of one who is truly satisfied with the simple things of life, and the necessities of life not the wants. My years prior to Haiti, definitely had a greater "need" list, than I had at the end of my time in Haiti. Actually as I look back on what I thought I needed to live, is almost humorous. Perhaps my age is the reason this Psalm resonates so clearly with me, seeing it in a different perspective.  To trust the Lord for every need, and to be thankful for each provision is a step by step learning experience. To desire the house of God more than a "shopping spree" (which is not one of my "things"), or a sport event, etc is also growing in the Lord.

We soon realize that there is no lasting satisfaction in anything outside of the presence of the Lord. Therefore, my needs list is quite diminished as well. My thinking is, "If God hasn't provided it, then it must not be a need." Things of this world will soon pass away. We can experience the sweetness of God's presence here on earth when we are thankful for His provision. Our eyes are on Him.

The Psalm ends with "surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. Oh for the Goodness of God!

I will close on a bit of humor with this last phrase. Many years ago, one of my co-workers at the hospital had 3 kittens and she named them—surely, goodness, and mercy. She said they would follow her all the days of her life. Smile. A good way to be reminded of God's promise!

God bless you

No comments: