Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Praying and Answers

As I promised yesterday, I would share about praying our needs or praying the answer to our needs. I believe many times we miss the answer to our prayer because we formulate in our mind how God needs to answer the prayer. Good example: "Lord, I want to draw closer to You. Give me moments to draw near." God puts us on a sick bed for a few days, we complain, totally forgetting our prayer. God always sees the greater picture of our prayer requests.

I remember reading a short article many years ago, about a lady who had prayed that she could have a glimpse of Jesus. At the end of the day, she reminded the Lord of her prayer, but He hadn't answered it. He replied, "I came to your house 3 times today, but you turned me away." A homeless person, an elderly person and a sick one, but she had no time to be bothered.

If you pray for patience, you are sure to receive some trials. We cannot learn patience when all is going our way. I really doubt if patience would be served on a silver platter, telling us to store it for a useful time. Patience is developed. Moses' bootcamp was 40 years in the desert, to then be another 40 years in the desert leading a stubborn and complaining group of people. I was 30 years in the "desert" and I am so thankful God didn't allow me to leave the desert in my first year there when I so begged Him to let me come home. After the 3rd time, I knew the door was shut tightly. I know I could not have learned the many lessons I learned

I am not an expert on how God answers prayers. But I do know He answers prayers in the way that is best for me and at the time that is best. I am so thankful that God has not answered all my requests. Yes, you read it correctly. I have not always been so wise in my prayers. If God had honored all my prayers I would have destroyed myself.

God delights in His children, but God wants the Glory and obedience. I am reading through Exodus, and in chapter 33 Moses reminded God that He still hadn't told him who is going to help him with the children of Israel. Moses said, You have told me Your name, your promise that you'd go with me, but you haven't told me who will help me. Read through 34, and Moses lands on top of the mountain for 40 days and nights, no food or water, him and God alone. I have a feeling when Moses came down off the mountain the name of who will help him wasn't so important anymore

Praying is a growing experience for me. Growing in Jesus will also bring a change in our prayers. Why? Because our desires change. Don't out-guess God. His answers are usually so much more than we could ever imagine, that is if we are obedient. Example: What if Moses would have told God he isn't going up the mountain unless God gives him the name of a helper. You may say, "well, that would be stupid." Would it? Have you ever told God to do something for you, then you'll do more for Him?

For me, most prayers become a sacrifice on my part or obedience. God knows us each in our way, so God answers prayers that is right for each of us. God is so good and His ultimate purpose is to mold us to be more like Jesus.

God bless you

No comments: