Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Resting in His Shadow

Yesterday I wrote a little of hiding under His wings, a protection from the arrows of the day and terror of the night. 
Today there is another aspect of His wing, and that is His shadow...but His shadow can also be the shadow of Him. Zion is intrigued by shadows right now. When I think of resting in the shadow of a person it indicates a nearness of that one. We usually associate shade with protection from the sun.


Song of Solomon 2:3 "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, is my lover among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste."
This is a description of a love affair, but it is also a description of our relationship with the Lord. This gal loved sitting in the shade of her lover. She enjoyed his presence, his words, caressing.  We as well, need to dwell intimately with our Lord to enjoy His shade. That shade brings rest, enjoyment, intimacy, and protection. 

Closeness to the Lord will protect me from those things which would draw us away from the Lord. This will sound a bit humorous but I think it will give us a clear picture of how we are with our Lord at times. How would this lover in Song of Solomon felt if his "princess" came to him to rest in his shadow and all she could talk about is the fun she is having with other relationships? I'm afraid that is how we are.

We are God's children but it is easier to talk of sports, jobs, houses, etc to others than it is to tell them of His love. It is time to refocus...remember His goodness through the generations. Even if we are busy doing His work, we need to find rest in His Shade/shadow and relax and enjoy His goodness in the refreshing shade.

Recently my biggest struggle is dealing with gossip. Hearing it is one thing, but then having the strength not to pass it on is a bigger struggle. My thought is that if I am close to the Lord, then I will let gossip bounce off of me, and not even remember it, or tell the person, "Would you please not tell me the things that keeps me from loving someone."

Lord, help me to not be involved in the sin of gossip. 

God bless you


No comments: