Monday, March 26, 2012

Quiet Day

It was a quiet day and is a quiet evening. Today was unusual in that I had no program...no plans, no schedule. I rested and read all day, and then helped with the kids. It was wonderful. Oh are there things I could have done, such as clean some things? Of course, but I didn't. I was ok with just doing nothing.

As always, I started thinking...why is it that in America people think they need to be busy doing something every day and every minute of every day? I wonder if we aren't trying to run from ourselves. Are we afraid we may need to deal with heart issues if we stay quiet and do nothing. Can I be content?

Thirty years ago, when I was in the village in Haiti, we had American visitors. After a few days, one of the ladies came to me and asked, "Why do these men just sit around playing dominoes? Why don't they get up and work? This seems a bit lazy to me?" So I asked her what they should be doing. They have no animals, no jobs are available, no rain therefore no garden, and no way to get food. In spite of their suffering,  they were having fun.

I know we need to work, so that we can eat. But I wonder if we are busier than God intended. When there is something that I know that needs to be done, but have no time to do it, then there is one of two things happening..either, God doesn't want me to do it, or I am doing something else that God hasn't asked me to do.

God will never give you a work to do and not provide the time to do it.

"Stand still and see what God will do."

God bless you

1 comment:

jennt said...

Very thought-provoking...