Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Take My Cross

Matthew 16:24-25 "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."

What does that really mean? To take up my cross? The cross for Jesus was to do what His Father had appointed for him.  It was to walk in obedience. That is exactly what it means to me...to do what my Father has chosen for me. If Jesus had chosen to save his own life, it would have meant that you and me would have no chance for eternal life.

If I don't walk in obedience, it will effect others. We may not think that our disobedience will leave a lasting impression on others, just as we may not know the eternal difference our obedience makes. I was speaking with a pastor friend of ours, who has labored long and hard to build a church. He mentors and disciples people, then they move away. So I mentioned how disheartening that must be. His reply, "Oh no, I am so thankful to be a part of God's work all over the world. For you see, the people that move away often go to uttermost parts of the earth for ministry."  Wow! what an attitude. He sees his ministry as teaching so others can go.

Today ministry has a taken a new and different look that what it was before the quake. I can choose to walk joyfully in this new direction—stateside office, Patrick gone more than at home, babysitting grandchildren, very little traveling (I loved traveled before). This may look very mundane, but I will never know the eternal value in this until I reach Glory.

Taking up a cross is not comfortable, but it is a command if we want to follow Jesus. I for one want to follow Jesus! I would rather lose my life and be eternally with my Lord, rather than save my life and lose everything.

What cross has God called you to carry? Are you willing? It will be painful. You may be scorned. Is it worth it to you? Make your choice today. By the way, house cleaning, laundry, cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes can all be holy ground. Great opportunities for praying for others!

Just remember, God will not give you a greater cross than you are able to bear!

God bless you

1 comment:

teresa said...

may you be encouraged in the work you do for the Lord. i appreciate your posts. God bless you.