Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I've Heard it Before

In 2 John there are 2 phrases that resound in my heart, "not as though I wrote a new commandment to you," "as you have heard from the beginning." Both are basically saying, "You know these things. I'm reminding you."

Children hear parents say this all the time, "Why aren't you listening? I tell you...all the time, yet you don't obey."
Ring any bells? And we do say things over and over again. Why? We want our children to learn and not forget. That's the way it was in Bible times. Commandments are repeated all through the scriptures. We read of God's love all through the Bible, yet how often do we say, "I'm not sure if God can love me anymore, I've failed again?"

We are not here to give new commandments, but to tell others of what has already been written in the Bible. It is my responsibility to tell others, not only with my words but with my life. If my life doesn't measure up to my sermons, than I may as well be quiet. What's the saying, "Your life is speaking so loudly, I can't hear a word you are saying."

John's gospel and epistle are resounding with Love. I would have loved to sit and hear him share his story and his relationship with Jesus.

Do my children/grandchildren enjoy when I share stories from the Bible? I love the evenings when I can read stories to the grandchildren before putting them to bed. The questions Promise asks show me that she is "digesting" the stories.

Even though we know people have heard God's message before, we need to continue to share. We never know when someone will respond to the message. It is our responsibility to sow the seed, but God will bring the increase.

God bless you

No comments: