Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Planted By the River

Psalm 1:3 "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."


The olive tree, which is mentioned many times in the Bible, grows slowly by a well watered, and fertile soil. Even when it is old and the trunk is gnarled, it still produces fruit. They remain strong in drought climates. One reason for this is their sturdy and extensive root system. Olive trees can live for several centuries, and can remain productive for as long if they are pruned correctly and regularly.


Is this the tree mentioned in Psalm 1? Very likely. I'm to be like this tree. Oh, I feel gnarled, but that shouldn't stop my growth in the Lord. The important thing is that I am grounded in the Word (fertile), and allow pruning (the Lord's corrections), and keep my eyes on the Lord.


Another aspect of the olive tree is its reproduction even when it is old and gnarled. This I wonder? Are we reproducing new children of the Lord as we retire? I see many retirees on the golf club, playing cards every night, parties, etc. There is no retirement with the Lord. In all these things, we need to share Jesus. 


Working mothers, beware!! Your children are the tender shoots for a tree planted by the waters. It is up to us mothers to feed them, water them and teach them God's Word. It is not the job of the church nor the Christian school. Yes, they can come alongside of you to do this, but it is the parents' job first and foremost. I know, I know, "we have to work to pay our bills." 


My heart breaks that now our nation is on the brink of a godless generation, and it is the result of a generation of "lock and key" kids who have grown up with no parental guidance. 


Let's return to the rivers of water. Let's return to the Word of God and obediently walk in His steps. Allow our roots to go deep and strong.


God bless you

No comments: