Sunday, June 12, 2011

Take No Offense

Matthew 11:2-6 gives an account of John the Baptist while he was in prison. Very interesting.

Quite a number of years ago I read a book "Prisoner in the Third Cell" by Gene Edwards. The prisoner being John. John, being the cousin of Jesus, was in prison because someone hated him and his message. John sent his friends to go ask Jesus if he really is the Messiah. Jesus's answer is very interesting. He tells the men to return to John and tell him what they have seen—the blind see, the lame walk, lepers are healed, the dead are raised and the poor have heard the Good news. But he adds another statement "Blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me." What does that have to do with the miracles??

Perhaps John was like us, thinking..."what is wrong with this picture? He can heal and raise people from the dead, but he can't get me out of prison? His own cousin? I didn't even do anything wrong. All I did was preach the good news like I was told to do by God." John died never knowing the extent of his ministry. John didn't know that centuries later people would still be reading about him in the Bible. Jesus did not want him to be offended because he was not delivered from prison.

What about us? Do we take offense when we pray and God doesn't answer? Or even more He doesn't give us an explanation of our situation? Do we take offense when God chooses to bless another but not me? I have many questions that I have no answer or explanation. I may never have the answer. Do I take offense because of this?

Let's not take offense because of Jesus. Our prayers may not all be answered the way we want, we may not understand the "why's" in our life, but let's not take offense because of HIM. He knows the beginning from the end. He is the Alpha and Omega.

Be blessed today

No comments: