Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Job's Burden

There is so much we can learn from the life of Job. Of course, the first thing most of us learn about is patience. We can also see his faithfulness to God. Even when his wife told him to curse God because of his miserable life, Job refused to do so. At the end of the book of Job, we also see Job's confession that he really did not know God and confessed his arrogance.

But there is a tidbit in Job 1:5 that captures my attention.
"So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." Thus Job did regularly."

Job offered burnt offerings for each of his sons, early each morning after the days of feasting/festivities. I don't know if this is the only time he did this, or if the phrase "thus Job did regularly" mean this was a daily practice. But the reason for doing it was just perhaps his sons had sinned and cursed God. (the bold text is mine)

I believe every parent should intercede for their children. We need to bring them before the Throne of God. I remember a number of years of ago when our daughter was a teenager, not walking with the Lord. I was talking to her about her life, and she said "Mom, every time I'm ready to do something I know I shouldn't, I see you in your bedroom on your knees." That was the most encouraging word I needed. I knew that a mother's prayer is honored before God. Did she return to the Lord then? No. But I prayed more diligently.

Never stop praying!! We do not know the results it will bring. Our children, and definitely our grandchildren. I fear for the younger generation in this evil world. We must pray. Be a Job, and make it a daily practice. Just perhaps...they may have sinned, or cursed God. We need to be on a mission on behalf of our children.

God bless you






No comments: