Friday, June 10, 2011

Desert University

Have you ever been to a desert? How long did you stay? I've been there many times. From time to time, it is as if God says to me, "Time to draw away in the desert again. You have some lessons to learn." And sometimes, I just land in the desert on this pilgrimage of mine. It is lonely there. Harsh reality. The thorny cacti pierce my skin. I cry. Then I look up and see an oasis. Maybe my tears made the oasis.

In the desert I learned to trust my Lord. I learned forgiveness. I learned love. But why the desert? There are no voices there. I'm alone. Just me and my Lord. Moses went to desert university. He learned the foundations of leadership. Jesus went to the desert right before he started his ministry. Hagar found the God-Who-Sees in the desert.

I run to the water, the Living Water. He is my teacher. While I was in the desert (literally) in Haiti, It prepared me for future ministry. During those days, I learned to trust my God for food, water, finances, and how to treat medical problems even though I wasn't a doctor or nurse. I learned to love people with whom I could barely communicate with. (I did learn the language eventually). But most of all I learned that seasons of being alone were good for me. God's voice rings loud and clear.

Psalm 84:5-7 "Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca (tears), they make it a spring; the rain also covers it with pools. They go from strength to strength; each appears before God in Zion."

These verses became a main stay for me. I spent many days in the Valley of Baca, but just when I thought I could take no more I found springs of refreshing, strength to go on and pools of praise for my Maker.

For Moses his first trip to the desert lasted for 40 years. His 2nd time in the desert was also 40 years long. But he also became a great leader. He was God's man for the children of Israel. Don't waste your desert seasons. Springs of refreshing will come. Pools of Praise will ring forth.

God bless you.

No comments: