Thursday, June 9, 2011

Culture or God's Will

Let's think about Mary, the mother of Jesus. Just a young girl when the angel first came to her to announce that she would be the mother of God's son. What would have happened if she would have been a bit more outspoken and selfish, and trying to live according to culture?

"Wait a minute. I'm engaged to be married, and if I come up pregnant by the Holy Spirit, I am sure that will go over big time with my mom and my fiance! Oh they will believe me. I don't think so. I mean really, Angel Gabriel, don't you know that I could be stoned for adultery? How am I going to explain this all to my family and friends?"

But it wasn't that way. She submitted to the announcement. She trusted God, and saw it as an honor to be a mother to God's Son. She knew culturally she was not going to be accepted. She was more concerned to do God's will than to please her friends. Joseph even hid her because he was embarrassed.

What about you and I? What is important to us? Culture? What will others think? Or to do God's will?

Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete [it] until the day of Jesus Christ.." Know for sure that the work God has started in me and you He will complete it. Allow Him to do it.

God bless you

No comments: