Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Relections

Reflecting! Memories. The "what if's" and "why not's." Then if I look back on some major decisions I made during my life, I wonder what my life were like today if I'd taken a different path? For instance, many years ago I had the opportunity to serve in a mission in Canada among the Inuits (natives). But instead, I moved to Florida and ended in Haiti. I truly believe I could have served God well in Canada. Of course, then I wouldn't have met Patrick. Smile. Perhaps none of you ever do this, reflect without regret. Just curiosity.


I do not for a minute, regret the decisions I've made. I know that my years in Haiti were good for me. God used all those experiences to hone the rough edges from my heart, and filled me with Grace. I learned so much in Haiti. One of the first lessons I learned (besides realizing how frustrating it is to talk to people if you don't know the language) is that I read the Bible in light of the culture I was in. When Patrick came to the States the first time, he also was very aware of this same thing.


The verse that says "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.” Matt 10:42. Before Haiti, this really didn't mean much to me. But people walk everywhere, the sun is hot, and water isn't always available. When I offered someone water, I remembered this verse. There is a reward for giving someone a drink of water. 


Now I'm stateside...there are memories here already.  Memories are good, but I don't live in them. I am pressing toward the mark of the high calling Jesus. And pressing I must! 


God bless you

No comments: