Monday, June 25, 2012

The Basin of Grace

My thoughts continue on the thread of Grace, and what it really should be like in my life. To be a woman of grace is a goal to be achieved. I believe that God would have us all be servants of Grace. What is it? Grace is to give what we don't deserve. I don't deserve God, but in His Grace He has given me eternal life. What does grace look like in my relationship to others?

As all questions like this, we can find answers in the Bible. Of course, the ultimate grace is God giving us redemption when we do not deserve it. Forgiveness is grace. We don't deserve forgiveness, at least, I don't. For you see, I fail again and again. But every time I approach the throne of God, He forgives. He doesn't even remind me that I had committed that same sin before...such as worry, complaining, etc. You do know these are sins, right?

Yesterday communion was served at church. As I was thinking about the last supper Jesus had with His disciples, a light came on in my spirit. I remembered something that I had learned many years ago, but hadn't thought about for a long time. The basin of grace! When Jesus took the basin and washed Judas's feet, I'm not sure that He used the water in the basin...that basin was overflowing with Grace. Judas did NOT deserve this.

Jesus knew what Judas was about to do. Why did He stoop down and wash the feet of the very one who was going to betray him? Why? Why didn't Jesus just tell him then to go do what he was planning and to do it quickly. He also served him bread and the cup. Love! Love! He loved Judas in spite of what Judas was about to do. I wonder if Judas even realized the sacrifice Jesus made at that moment.

Can I wash the feet of the one, who spread gossip about me? Can I wash the feet of the one who insulted me? I see the problem clearly. Pride! I think I'm so much better that I can't give grace. Pride raises its ugly head to show me how much better I am, and surely God wouldn't expect me to serve the offender with grace. Oh but God does!

Today...let's take the basin of grace and forgive those who have hurt us, offended us, and don't deserve it. Let's love them back to the Lord.

God bless you

No comments: