Friday, October 21, 2011

The Lesson of the Tarantula

Haiti has many tarantulas. For those of you who are not familiar with this "spider", it is big, black, furry and not friendly looking. I have met up with many tarantulas during my years in Haiti. My last encounter was before the 2nd story of the building in the village was complete. I had gone upstairs to enjoy the sky since there wasn't a roof yet. My reward for this was a nice sized tarantula at the top of the stairs. It is difficult to Kill them. 


As I stood there, I had to make a decision...jump over it or wait until someone would rescue me. :) I opted to jump it since in reality I was bigger. It just looked big. Isn't that the way problems are? We see them bigger than they are. Anyway, today on FaceBook I found this lesson on the tarantula. I thought it worth sharing.


"Zaryen is the Creole word for tarantula.
“One side has four legs. The other side has three legs. That means if that spider [tarantula] lost one leg, his life still continues. You can do everything like you with only two legs," he explained." Wilfried Macena


This is a lesson on being an amputee.  Yes, there are adjustments, but just like the spider, life goes on. I can do many things that I never thought possible. I'm still learning, and hope to continue learning.


God bless you



No comments: