Thursday, April 7, 2011

Discipline=pain

"Discipline is the act of inducing pain and stress in one's; life in order to grow into greater toughness, capacity, endurance, or strength. So spiritual discipline is that effort of pressing the soul so that it will enlarge its capacity to hear God speak and, as a result, to generate inner force that will guide and empower one's mind and outer life." Gordon MacDonald

Pain? Stress? That isn't fun or even desirable. But that is my lot if I want to hear the voice of God more clearly. Do I really want to omit pain in my life. I think of the discipline of a little child. Let a child go its on way, and when he is grown there will be a rebellious heart. That is why God doesn't ease up on me. He knows without the discipline my heart would be rebellious.

Look through the scriptures and you will find every great man of God, lived a life of pain—Noah, Joseph, David, Daniel, Jesus, Paul, Peter and the list goes on. It is easy to see their success, but often we by-pass what it took to reach the goal.

My encouragement to you: Press on, don't hide from discipline. Accept the way God chooses for you. You will have great rewards in the end.

God bless you.

No comments: