Monday, August 15, 2011

Above All Things

1 Peter 4:8 "And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins."

Yesterday I shared about the strong power of God's love. Once we experience God's love in our hearts and lives, it is required of us to have fervent love for each other. Here are a few synonyms I found for fervent—burning, gleaming, luminous, radiant, passionate, enthusiastic and full of praise. My fervent love lacks in this list.

The last part of this verse is a clincher. This kind of love will cover a multitude of sins. Meaning that if we really love, we will not remember the faults of others. But do I really forget? Or want to? Is it more pleasurable for me to remember the hurts others have caused me? Do I want to love so that these sins can be covered.

It is so easy for married couples to keep a running list of faults our spouses have. Lack of true love. True love covers those faults and sins. Does it mean that we need not deal with sins? Absolutely not! It means that forgiveness and love cover them. We don't remember them. We love the other person through their sin to forgiveness.

God in his mercy has forgiven me and does not remember my sins. His love covers a multitude of my sins. Lord, help me to love as you love. Help me cover the sins of others in my fountain of love for them.

God bless you.

No comments: