Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sacrificial Giving

2 Samuel 24:24 "Then the king said to Araunah, No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price; nor will I offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God with that which costs me nothing...."

You will need to read the chapter to get the back drop to this scene. But this spoke so loud and clear to me this morning.  David wasn't about to give an offering without a price. Do I see God worthy of a sacrifice? Any sacrifice comes with a price. Today we don't quite "get the picture" as my sister often said. In Old Testament times when an offering was made, it was the life of a lamb, ram, dove, etc. There was no sacrificial offering without giving of a life.

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was costly. We did not pay for our salvation, but it did come with a price. Jesus paid it all!

What am I willing to give/risk so that others can receive the free gift of salvation? My time in Haiti cost me a leg. It cost Patrick an arm. But we aren't stopping now. To carry a cross is painful. It isn't just a chain around your neck with a cross on it. It is to serve, to love, to give, to encourage. In doing this, many times it is costly, if not painful.

May I add it is all done joyfully. Go forth, give an offering,  a sacrifice. Don't seek an easy road.

You will find great blessings in the Lord.

God bless you


No comments: