Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Quiet Stream

Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me by still waters..."

Every afternoon the kids have "quiet" time, which sometimes is not very quiet. We try to balance between having them be quiet but not sleep. Falling asleep then is late night awake.

The Lord leads us to quiet waters and green pastures. A perfect picture of quiet and rest. But just like kids, our quiet time isn't always so quiet. Our spirits are struggling, we bring worry, complaining, un-forgiveness, hatred, etc. All these things rob of us the quiet moments. So even though we have been to the quiet waters, we are not refreshed.

Other than not quieting all the voices around us that want constant attention, I believe there is a greater reason why we do not want to be quiet. If I am alone for a while, the moment will come when I face myself, my problems, who I really am and who God really wants me to be. There are so many fears when facing "me." It will mean giving in to God and giving up on me.

It may be too painful to have God reach into the depths of our hearts to remove all those things that we have hidden for years, and never wanted to confess or deal with. When we cannot come to terms with ourselves, we forfeit peace.

The encouraging word is that God, in His mercy is ready to help you. Go to that quiet stream or green pasture and cry out to him...let Him do a work in you. Just a reminder, God will not be shocked at anything He finds in your heart. He knows what is there, and is waiting for you. He loves you unconditionally!

If you are troubled today, and don't know how to start to uncover the layers of hidden agenda...allow God to reach into your heart and gently do the "surgery" that needs to be done. Allow Him to do a work in you like never before. You will probably need many quiet times by the stream, but God will meet you there each time.

Just like the kids, after quiet time, they are energized.

Run into His open arms.
God bless you

No comments: