Wednesday, April 18, 2012

No Finger Pointing

Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."


Always before when I read this verse, I pictured the horizon, and knowing my sin has been removed so far I can't see it anymore, and God doesn't either, although He could.


But this time I see it differently. When I come to God to confess my sin, He forgives. But what about tomorrow when I have committed the same sin again. Then what? The verse says nothing about it being removed as far as east is from the west on the first time of forgiving only.


This is what I picture:
"God, it's me again. Yeah, I was involved in gossip again."
God: "Oh have you been here before on that issue? I don't see any outstanding debts. Of course, I'll forgive you. My Grace is sufficient."


I don't believe there is a finger pointing at me, "Listen, you better not do this again. I've got some serious measures for second time "crimes." Oh there is discipline so that we can grow in Him. But God does not carry grudges. That's what WE do. 


God chooses not to remember my sin once He has forgiven me, and put it out of His sight. Why is it so difficult to forget the wrong done to me? 


It is so comforting to know that the God I serve doesn't remember my sin. Every time I come to Him with my sin, it's as if it were the first time I brought my confession to Him.


Forgiveness is not for the one who has sinned against me, but it frees me from the festering wounds that remembering sins causes. Lord, help me to forgive!


God bless you

No comments: