Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Thankful Grinch

For several days now, we have considered Christmas through the eyes of Anna, Simeon, Mary and Joseph, shepherds. But now we need to think of another, me and you. How do we view Christmas? What is it for me? Am I so busy with the hustle-bustle of the activities that the real meaning of Christmas passes me by?

Am I so busy with my holiday things, comfortable in my house that I don't even know there is an orphan on the streets? A widow at the trash bin? A sick one in the hospital? Or a family who lost a loved one? Or even worse, I know but I turn my head because I don't want to be bothered?

Oh, for sure, holidays are fun, but let's not miss the real meaning of Christmas. This is a great time to be the candle in a dark world. Give the cashier a smile and a Christmas blessing. Give your family a smile. Look in the mirror, and give yourself a smile. Look in the mirror and see what your family sees. Is that a bit scary? Smile.

It is time for confession—I am not much of a holiday person. I don't like to decorate, bake, or shop. The many years in Haiti changed my holiday excitement. In all the 29 years, I don't think I had more than 5 christmases with family in the states. So, am I in denial, hoping the holidays go away? Or am I just content to let come what may? I love my family, but I love to be with them all year, not just at holiday time. Maybe I'm the modern day grinch or scrooge. A thankful Grinch that is.

I am thankful for Jesus. I'm thankful Mary accepted her role, knowing she would be misunderstood. I'm thankful that Joseph still took Mary as his bride. I'm thankful...we can still find Jesus in the "manger" among the dirty, the poor, the underdog, the rejected, the outcast. I'm thankful Jesus wasn't born in a palace. He was born in the barn for you and me! He loves you and me!

God bless you


No comments: