Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cholera Outbreak Again

This has been quite a day. It started with a phone call from Patrick who is in Haiti, asking me to change his ticket. There is a cholera outbreak in the villages. Yesterday 2 people died, although he said that they could not confirm that cholera was the cause of one of the deaths.

People are so afraid, so discouraged with this new twist in their lives. Patrick knew he needed to stay and help in any way he could. He was scheduled to return home tomorrow. He said he was so busy yesterday he hardly had time to eat or shower.

This afternoon he called again, and there is a cholera camp being set up to care for the sick. A medical staff is coming from Jacmel to work in the camp. Our clinic in Mayette is not able to handle all the sick ones.

Rachel gave me a wheelchair for Christmas, and today was a mother/daughter day. Rachel who is a lover of sales, took me to many places. It was fun, and the first time that I actually went to several places to shop (window shop, that is) without being in pain. So yes, the wheelchair is a blessing. I thought for sure by now, I would be able to walk as much as I want and be ok. But that hasn't happened, so I had a choice—stay home or go on a "ride." And fun it was! Thanks Rachel.

Pray for the villages that have cholera. Pray for the medical staff who are caring for them. Pray for safety for those who have not contract the disease. Pray for Patrick that he will stay healthy, and God gives him the strength to do the task given him.

Thank you and God bless you

No comments: