Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mary's Christmas

Luke 1-2
Mary is in the house, alone, doing her daily chores, when an unannounced visitor arrives. She was afraid when she saw the angel.  Mary was amazed that she was the chosen one to birth the Son of God. Although she didn't understand everything, she accepted God's plan for her life. Some of you may be thinking, "Wow, I would too, with a plan like that." Wait a minute. Think about it. She was chosen to enter  into God's plan which would be anything but politically correct. She was engaged to be married. In those days, engagement was not taken lightly. They didn't live together to see "if they were a good match." She was already committed to Joseph. Now to explain this to Joseph. How? And her mother? Oh my, I can hear it now, "Mom, I'm pregnant, but not by Joseph, but by God's spirit."

This is the mystery of Christmas. God had every detail in place long before the moment of Mary's conception and Jesus' birth. I love Mary's response, even in an unbelievable situation "Do to me as it pleases you."

Is this our attitude at God's bidding? So many times, I have heard people saying, "I feel like God is calling me to do..., but I just don't know how it is going to turn out. I don't know the details." Yes, you don't and I don't. Neither did Mary. She didn't know her Son was to be crucified. She didn't know what it would be like to raise the Son of God. She didn't know he would be so rejected. But she was obedient.

What was Mary's view of Christmas? "She pondered all these things in her heart." Mary was a fearful, amazed worshipper.

God bless you

No comments: