Friday, November 30, 2012

What is Christmas to You?

The last day of November...of course, Black Friday has already thrown many people in the christmas mode. Trees are up and decorated, lawns have their decorations and lights out. My sister has started her holiday baking. Shopping has begun and goes until December 24th, the last day for those who are last minute shoppers. The excitement runs in our blood.

Then there are the churches—banquets, concerts, programs, cookies to prisoners, parties, etc.
All of this is fun, really fun.

But....where does Jesus fit in all of this? Does He fit in? How much prayer goes into these things before we do them? I'm not saying it is bad what we do, but I am questioning if we really do it for God's glory, or is it mostly for our enjoyment?

Many Christians are very concerned when our government wants to take Christ our of Christmas, but I'm afraid many churches have done that for a long time. When Jesus was born, shepherds came to worship Him. Later on the wise men came and worshipped Him. Wise men didn't give their gifts to someone else to make an impression, but they gave what they had to Jesus. How can we do that? Give to someone who can't give a gift in return.

One of my most memorable Christmases is when my sister and I decided to make a food box for a pastor and his family, who we had found it hardly has food for their table. It was so fun to fill the box. But it was really fun to see their excitement when they received the box of food. But they were also totally surprised that someone had remembered them at Christmastime.

My challenge to each of us is to worship Him this Christmas season. Pray before you buy that gift. And maybe we should pray before we max out a credit card buying a gift that someone doesn't need or even want.

Yes, go ahead and say it, Barb is a Christmas grinch...I know it. But it is fine, I'm a happy grinch. What makes me happy is family...not gifts...that way you don't worry if you bought the right gift...no gift, no worry...just family having a good time together. Love. Peace. Joy. That's Christmas.

What is Christmas for you?

God bless you


No comments: