Friday, February 1, 2013

I Can Do Nothing

John 15:5..."without me you can do nothing."
Well, that puts me in my place when I think I'm doing quite well. If there is anything of value accomplished in me, it isn't really me but Jesus in me. When will I ever learn that flesh just gets in the way all the time. It is truly my enemy.

We really are helpless creatures. If Jesus recognized His need of the Father, how much more do I need to realize that I am helpless without Him. I can't breathe without Him. I can't make my heart beat. Oh yes, the doctor can shock it to make it beat, but again, without God's will and power to do so, hearts would not beat.

Think of a baby, then a toddler, then a child, teen, and adult. During the growing process, we as parents, teach our child to do many things. We can teach a child to walk, talk, eat, play, read, write, etc. But we cannot teach its lungs to breathe, or the heart to beat. We can't teach its brain to think. Our bodies are so intricately designed. There is not one thing about me that the Father doesn't know.

So since I can't do anything without Him, I realize I need to ask Him what it is I am to do, then obey and my work will be blessed. Rather than making my plans, telling God what I am going to do, then ask Him to bless it. Does this make sense?

And this is what I was trying to digest when I couldn't sleep last night. What is God doing around me, so that I can join in the work. There are some upcoming activities that I really am not excited about, until last night. Just perhaps God is working in these activities and wants me to be a part of the work. I'll pray for a right attitude.

Without Him, I can do nothing. But with Him, I can change the world, my little world, that is.

God bless you

No comments: