Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Honey, Did You Hear What I Said?"

I've been thinking the past few days of my response to God. For instance, as I read the scriptures, am I really listening? Do I really concentrate and give Him my full attention? It is sad, but there are many times I'm distracted. Thinking of things I need to do, places I want to go, and people I should talk to. Oh, the list goes on and on.

Reading through the Old Testament, people had the same problem. God would speak, would call them, and they would not listen. I wonder if God felt like taking them by the shoulder and shaking them, "Would you please look at me and listen to what I am saying?" Does this sound familiar?

We want our children to listen. Stop what they are doing and give us their full attention. So difficult. But let's take it a step further, for those of  us who are married. What about those times when you know  you told your husband the plan, and a few days later, "Why didn't you tell me this?" The normal response from us, as a wife, is "Honey, I did tell you, but you were on the computer, or watching a ball game, or..." Whatever the case may be. We know they weren't paying attention. It is frustrating to us. We want our husband to  pay attention when we talk to them.

They don't really intend to shut us out, well maybe sometimes they do. But do they not realize how much we'd like their full attention? Maybe God allows this so that we can know how God feels when He speaks to our heart and we just don't listen. We have our own agenda. We do have our Bible open, but while we are reading, we plan our dinner meal, make our grocery list, answer the phone....so many interruptions.

God gives us the rules. God shows us the way. We just don't listen. We are "busy." How would my life be different if I really listened when He speaks.

I wonder if Patrick heard me when I said "I need those signatures and forms filled out?" I wonder....I'll know when he returns home. :))

Help me to listen, Lord.
God bless you

No comments: