Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Inner Strength

Ephesians 3:14-21 "For this reason I kneel before the Father,  from  whom every family  in heaven and on the earth is named.  I pray that according to the wealth of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner person,  that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, so that, because you have been rooted and grounded in love,  you may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and thus to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to him who by the power that is working within us is able to do far beyond all that we ask or think, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen" (The Net Bible)

This is a very familiar passage of scripture, but this morning a few things sort of hopped off the page for me. I love it when I think I know a scripture, and then POP! here is something new! God is amazing. For instance, how do I pray? Most of the time, "God I need strength for today." But now, how about praying God give me the strength that will glorify You? For you see, if He strengthens me, what will I do with it? Usually go about doing the things that I see need to be done. But according to this scripture the idea is not only to be strengthened to do what I see needs doing...like today—laundry, straightening the house, caring for the kids, cook...all of that takes strength, but to be strengthened for His glory.

The strength I really need is for my inner being. Why? Number one so that I can be rooted in love. Oh my...how many times in my physical strength I find myself mumbling because of all the things that need to be done. But now, strength for my inner being so that, I can be rooted in love, because without that, I cannot possibly know the immensity of God's love. His love surpasses knowledge!  Filled with His love, then God can begin to do those things in my life that are beyond understanding.

So as I read this, I was thinking....I need to redirect my prayers a bit. Praying more for my inner strength so that I am filled with His love, then He can work in me that which surpasses all knowledge. But first, I must allow Him to strengthen my spirit and have His love rooted in me. Love that will spread wherever I go. 

As I read the verses again (which is Paul's prayer), I realize there is nothing there to gratify the flesh. There is no spot for "me." The only way I see to get me out the way, for a moment, is to keep my eyes on Him. I remember asking my dad once, "Does living for the Lord ever get easier as you get older?" His answer  was, "No, there is always a battle for self." 

But God has promised victory! He has promised never to leave us! There are so many promises of His faithfulness  to us. So no matter of our age, we can begin to focus on God for His glory. Even to the point, of laying aside a sport event so that we can bask in His love. If I take care of all "my" things first, what I want to do, etc, then seldom is there time to allow God to fill me with His strength so that I can have a better comprehension of Him.

Today I want His fullness, be rooted in His love, I want to comprehend His love—even in a minute way that my earthly body can begin to know, and I have found that He has always worked beyond of my understanding. Answered prayers beyond what I could ask or even think of asking!! 

God bless you...and today ask for His strength in your inner being.


No comments: