Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gift of Grace

Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how to answer each one."

Does this mean always? Like even in Christmas shopping? Someone steps ahead of me in the check-out? Someone takes "my" parking space? Schedules are already packed to the max, then the church calls for an extra hand for the special program. Does grace cover your speech?

When food is seasoned with salt, it gives a good flavor. So when our speech is flavored with grace, it leaves a good taste. Way too often, Jesus' birthday, as we call Christmas, is covered with bad attitudes, selfishness, anger. Oh we sing joy to the world, but are angry at our husband. We sing Silent Night but are yelling at the kids.

Back to the challenge of grace..."Grace should so much be a part of me that it spills over into every area of my life." (Cynthia Heald),  But what does grace really mean to me, and how can I live it out to others?

Think about it...a person of grace gives freely, God has freely given His son so that we might live
David K. Lowery puts it this way: "God prizes not the size of the gift, but the giver's sincerity, spontaneity, and joyful willingness." I love this. Our giving should not be limited to Christmas and certainly not giving to be given in return.

A person of Grace speaks with wisdom. Putting it plainly, think before talk. What I say and how I say it, says volumes of who I am.

This Christmas let's give the gift of love, the gift of forgiveness, the gift of a meek and quiet spirit all wrapped up beautifully with God's endless supply of Grace. He has given it to you and me. Let's bless someone else with His grace.

God bless you


No comments: