Sunday, January 24, 2010

Here's to nights of Bull riding... and women who love it

Mom is watching bull riding, eating ice cream with enthusiasm. She has "set the bar" (according to nurses and physical therapists alike) as far as amputee patients go. Everyone who sees her comments on strength that she has yet to see. She amazes me with how far she's progressed in the past two days.
Dad is still stable. The doctors see great improvement with his breathing and his kidneys, but he is still under sedation in the ICU for the time being. He is beginning to become more responsive as the doctors lower sedation.
I just thank God for tonight. Twelve days ago, I could have lost my parents. Instead, I get to go hold dad's hand and tell him how much he'll enjoy chinese food when he gets better. I get to laugh with my mom and my brother while we watch bull riding and see my mom's amazingness shine through. We are so very blessed. :)
Keep praying for dad's full recovery, mom's therapy and the rest of Haiti.... Thanks for everything.
Rachel

10 comments:

Melissa Block said...

Praise the Lord for his goodness!! Your mom is a little light that just shines Jesus!

Unknown said...

You have a very special mother!! When she was in Muncie (at the fair) we met each other, talked about Haiti, her children, my daughter, and that fact that I would love my daughter to take a mission trip there...since that time, she's been sending me the prayer calendars and I've been keeping her and your father in my prayers. I'm just so thankful she is making a strong recovery...I'll keep your family in my thoughts prayers!

Les Helmuth said...

This is great news - thanks for the update. Barb sounds more like herself all the time. you're still in our prayers.

Jamie said...

We're so glad to hear they are recovering so well! Your family and all of Haiti is in our prayers

Mandi said...

Rachel, bless your heart. Thank you for the updates, we will continue to pray and praise God for continued healing!!!!

Sue Berger said...

Way to go Barb! "For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him" Phil 1:29 You are showing those around you what this looks like. May you light continue to shine brightly. I love you, sue

Ray Dick said...

We sure love you all and are continuing to cry out to God on your behalf. Your faith and perseverance in Christ is such an encouragement to me and so many others. Jesus bless you all as He clearly is!

holcomb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

God Bless you! We continue to pray for Haiti and your family. :) xoxo :) muchos besos.

God's Gram said...

Barb, I read your stories that you sent to Elaine. I hope you don't mind. They are priceless little jewels! More! More! Suggestion: while you are recuperating, maybe you could even dictate more--I don't have an easy idea of how--speak into a tape or digital recorder? Type them as you did?