Wednesday, October 16, 2013

But I Want It!

I have been reading through the book of 1 Samuel. The Bible is so special because every time I read it, I see something that I wonder how I could have missed it. Or yet, I have read it before, noticed it, but then I see it in a new light. That is what happened when I read chapter 8. This relates the story of the children of Israel demanding a king "like other nations have a king." This demand is found in verse 5, 19, and 20.

They wanted it so badly that God told Samuel to give them a king, that they are not rejecting him but the Lord. My question was, "Does God still give us our beggarly requests because our prayers just will not take no for an answer?" I believe God does allow us to go in our selfish ways, but we will suffer for it. Then just like the children of Israel, when life gets tough, we come back to God asking "Why?"

So we are not any different than people in history. Our selfish desires take over. Look at the reason they wanted a king. They wanted to be like other nations. How often do we buy things, not because we need them, but because our friend has one. Or we want to be like our friends, or like the rest of our family. I have heard statements such as, "I will have "that" one way or other." Another one, "I will go "there" and its not negotiable." No different than Israel...they couldn't see beyond their selfish desires.

And the children of Israel did suffer immensely at the hand of kings. But does it need to be this way? Yes, suffering will come if we demand to have things our way instead of God's way. So wondering what the answer is to our dilemma, I remembered the Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Verse 7a "be not wise in your own eyes.."

With all this is contentment. Contentment is learned. Being thankful with what you have. I was reading an article the other day which was talking about the "yet-praises" (Widow's Might) that no matter what the situation, we can yet praise Him. And we CAN!

Why are you in despair, O my soul?
And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.
-Psalm 42:11

God bless you

No comments: